Topband: Stainless Steel for coil taps.

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 09:24:45 EST 2020

Conductivity of Copper: 5.85 x 10^7 mho/m

Conductivity of 301 Stainless: 0.14 x 10^ mho/m

Stainless is 42 times worse conductor than copper.

Larry, was the band clamp holding a copper conductor onto the coil, or was
the band clamp actually being relied on for conductivity.

If current was being carried by the hose clamp: Typical 301 stainless band
clamp (say one that will accomodate both 1/2" and 3/4" tubing) is .023"
thick by 5/16" wide. For an area of 0.007 square inches carrying the
current.

Because copper is 42 times better conductor, a equivalent copper conductor
would be just a little more than 0.00017 square inches. So that stainless
band clamp is a worse conductor than AWG 26 copper wire.

The tables list 26AWG as having an ampacity of 0.36A. So even at 100W and
50 ohms you are past the limit. Go to legal limit and 50 ohms and you are
way past. Go to a high Q circuit and you are way way past.

I would recommend something different for coil tapping for a 10AWG coil: I
am a big fan of the Mueller BU-27C copper clip, rated for 40A DC. If you
are going onto thick copper tubing, Mueller the BU-27CGW (the "geophone
clip") works well.

Tim N3QE