Topband: RFI Down Under

GGLL guiye8 at aol.com
Mon Nov 23 09:46:31 EST 2020

GM. from down under also, but at the other side...

Needless to say, in my country we're flooded with those, non filtered
power supplies. I think it's to cut $$, the common user does not use AM
anymore, and day after day ham population decrease... and $o on.

Indeed, the psu pcb is marked with filter components, but they are
absent. Bridge wires instead.

Just in a very, very few ones they are installed, and even outside the
pcb, at the mains socket you have filtering components..

You note also manufacturing is cheaper day after day, just try the
weight of a psu made in 2000 vs. one of the laters. Thinner cabinets, no
filters, and so on.

So, every time I get an old, discarded psu, I check for this common mode
inductors, capacitors, varistors, take them off and use to fill the
blanks in my RFI generator appliances.

Poor of the guy who experiment MF or LF.

I had a LED monitor in my radio shack, 12 V powered, which also add hash
at 10..24 MHz.
Even supplying it with a car battery, or a linear power supply, adding
filters at vga cables, here and there, no filter cured the hash.

My solar panel regulator is quiet when recharging the battery, BUT if
you use any of the two USB ports to charge your cell phone or
whatever.... well, better turn off the radio.

Printers also have good line filters, old professional switches psu, etc.

Regards
Guillermo - LU5WE.

El 23/11/20 a las 03:16, Phil Hartwell via Topband escribi�: