Topband: Receive ant - binocular cores

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 08:41:48 EDT 2020

Tony, I have abused BN-73-202 cores at the 100W level when I accidentally
transmit into the receive antenna through the transformer. I have smoked
the termination resistor but never damaged the transformer by transmitting
into them.

I have used single BN-73-202 cores at the several watt level continuously,
in step-up/step-down voltage inverter applications.

None of the above means that the core would survive a lightning strike.

The ferrite material is mechanically fragile. When (for example) PCB
mounting in outdoor conditions you have to take into account the lead
stress from temperature changes etc. I think the two-hole BN form is way
more mechanically robust than the skinny rings but I have broken both kinds
due to mounting them "too tightly down" to a PCB.

Tim N3QE