Topband: RX Power over Coax

Roger Parsons ve3zi at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 7 14:55:44 EDT 2020

I just wanted to agree that using coax feeders for power as well as rf can lead to noise. I have a lot of beverages and other receive antennas, some of which are thousands of feet from the shack, and I also use (probably unnecessarily complex) switch units. This has meant that I have had to use 48V to ensure reliable switching. I use CATV hardline for the 'main' lines and flooded RG6 for 'local' lines.

I have never had problems on the hardline, but the RG6 has often been noisy. I am of the opinion that this happens at F connections even when the joint is very well prepared and sealed, but this is so far unproven...

73 Roger
VE3ZI