Topband: OX - VK3 last night

Mail 10 mail10 at barefoothorse.com.au
Wed Oct 14 19:31:37 EDT 2020

John OX/OZ1LXJ was a nice addition to the log yesterday evening around
0930z. He was not easy copy at the time, but good enough to call.
Despite his "Ugly QRN" we made the contact. I also had storm static
making it difficult, despite there being no significant thunderstorm
activity in my region.

I continued listening to John over the next hour or so, until well after
his sunrise, when he was readable up to nearly an hour post his sunrise
on a then, very quiet band. Signals from US East Coast were very weak.

Two interesting observations were noted.
1. After our QSO, I was switching directions on my Beverage array, and
found him much stronger on my South Beverage, when I expected the signal
from the North. VK3IO also noted John's signal was better from the South.
2. The QRN decreased maybe 45 minutes after our QSO, and John also noted
his end quietened down, so we suspect propagated QRN from somewhere else.

I have noted signals coming from unexpected directions before, with NA
coming in on a couple of occasions from the South, and often from my
Beverage aimed at the Caribbean, when direct path is around 70 degrees.
This usually occurs when there is some geomagnetic activity.

I'll start looking for EU in our mornings soon, as with sunset getting
later, and Daylight Saving here, I have to stay up until well after
midnight to follow the NA sunrise.

73,

Luke VK3HJ