Topband: TopBand DX

Mail 10 mail10 at barefoothorse.com.au
Thu Oct 15 19:07:11 EDT 2020

Yes, I too enjoy reading the posts, and am also missing DXpedition
activity. I'm at 143 countries and 34 Zones worked and confirmed, and am
always looking for new ones. I hear/see some Caribbean stations fairly
regularly, but no luck there recently. Of course, they are subject to
almost constant tropical noise. I know what that's like having operated
from Christmas Is, Cocos-Keeling Is, and Mellish Reef.

It's nice to work old friends regularly, and a few new ones from time to
time when conditions are good.

Yesterday, I was hearing John OX/OZ1LXJ again, but nowhere near as well
as the day before. He was mostly coming in from the South again, and
then after his sunrise from the expected Northerly direction, but he
never peaked while I was listening to the point where I could
confidently complete a QSO.
USA was weak here again, but East Asia was ok.

As for weekday vs weekend operation, I usually work weekends and
weekdays and my days off are random. I would favour a mid-week operation
activity, but of course your Wednesday Night CW sched is around midday
here! Weekends, I tend to spend less time on the radio, as I generally
avoid Contests, however, I will see what I can work this weekend for the
Stew Perry Contest!

73, Luke VK3HJ