Topband: Horizontal Waller Flag

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sat Sep 12 15:04:49 EDT 2020

There have been a few comments about Rx antenna chokes.  What I built
may be of interest.

10 turns of RG179 micro TFE 75 ohm coax thru a Fair-Rite 2631101902 #31
core (1.12od x 1.125L x .54id).  Wound thru a 3d printed form with 10
slots that keeps the turns disciplined in order.

Measured R 6.5k ohms on 160 and 5.8k ohms on 80m.  These were used as
feedline chokes inside the matching and pattern reversing boxes for
DHDL's interconnected with triple shield RG6.  An earlier version was
built with short BNC pigtails for other DHDL's.  The internal to box
chokes have 2" leads so re-radiation should be minimal.

RG316 will work if 50ohm coax is needed and should have the same choking
results.

Prior tests of a commercial 3ft long "beads on coax" 160m choke yielded
about 1k ohms.  Not practical IMO.

Grant KZ1W