Topband: KM5KG network designer

Eric Scace K3NA eric at k3na.org
Wed Feb 10 12:16:52 EST 2021

   Grant KM5KG (SK) had a Windows program for impedance matching network design that provided current and voltage levels for each component in the system, based on the power passing through the network to the load, as well as many other useful features for reducing a theoretical design into a practical implementation. I had a copy at one time, but it seems to have disappeared.

   Does anyone have a copy?

   More generally, is there a modern software tool available that:
supports an arbitrary placement of inductors, capacitors, stubs and line segments between generator and load
calculates the peak V and I on each element
calculates Z at the input of each stage in the network
nice to have:
Smith chart overview
multiple frequencies; i.e.:
load characterized by Z at several frequencies
Smith chart display of Z with those frequencies at each stage

   I’ve hand-built Excel spreadsheets for specific networks to do the above, but it’s very easy to make programming errors on a complex spreadsheet…

   Thanks for any suggestions.

— Eric K3NA