Topband: ARRL CW Contest

Don Kirk wd8dsb at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 11:16:36 EST 2021

Hi Roger and gang,

I operated W9VW which is a pretty big contest station Saturday morning but
did not get on 160 meters until 0545 UTC, and I commented to my fellow
operators that conditions were about as poor as I have ever encountered on
160 from Indiana into Eu and I was running 1300 watts versus the 100 watts
I typically run from my home station.  I was also having issues with our
other transmitter getting into our 9 circle RX array which did not help..

I did operate some from my home station Sunday morning but started at 0400
UTC and actually put a considerable amount of Eu stations in my log running
my 100 watts, so maybe conditions favored the earlier hours????  Next year
I will definitely try and get on 160 much earlier in the evening if I'm
invited back to W9VW.  I certainly felt embarrassed with my performance.

73,
Don (wd8dsb)