Topband: ARRL WW - 160 cndx - mixed bag

W3HKK at roadrunner.com W3HKK at roadrunner.com
Mon Feb 22 13:07:40 EST 2021

Fri night from 9:30- midnight was terrific on 160 from the Columbus OH
area. ( Its always surprising how spotty the openings are, however.
But the fickle spotlight keeps moving around, thank heavens. ) . Each
tune of the band found a handful of new ones, at very soslid copy
levels....worked 82 Euro/carribs before going to 80/40. (I operate
160-10m with all wire antennas so its hard to linger on any one band
too much- but my qso totals for 160 were a higher % of total Q's in
many years.

BUT on Sunday night, 160 was stinko.

Saw the reports of high solar wind on Fri-Sat-Sun - dausing auroral
issues on all bands, and cndx on all the other bands were well below
normal. If anything, 160 Fri night and 20m to JA Sat sunset were the
prime openings. Qso totals in central OH were 30% lower than the past
5 yrs for the arrldx-cw test.

Worked Roger on 160!