Topband: The WD8DSB mini-flag antenna

John Kaufmann john.kaufmann at verizon.net
Tue Feb 23 18:37:03 EST 2021

As a follow-up to my original post, here are a few additional comments.

Don, you mention that you designed the mini-flag for a deep null off the
back at low elevation angles, which is entirely understandable.  As I said
in my earlier post, the null is very pronounced in the AM BCB on local
groundwave signals.  However, I also see pretty significant nulls on
higher-angle signals, too.  Just a short time ago, I was listening to W1AW
on the low end of 160.  They are located only ~100 miles from me.  Their
signal has to be arriving at a pretty high angle, but the null is still
quite pronounced.

My homebrew preamp, that I mentioned in my post, uses a cascade of UTO 511
and UTO 533 mini-amplifier modules.  I used this preamp, not necessarily
because it's optimal, but because I already happened to have it on hand.
The gain of the 511 is given as 16 dB typical while the 533 is 17 dB, which
should yield a net gain of ~33 dB for the cascade of the two.  The noise
figure on the 511 that serves as the input amplifier is specified as 2.3 dB,
but its spec sheet gives an operational frequency range of 5-500 MHz, so I
can't be sure the noise figure (or the gain) holds up at lower frequencies.
Nonetheless I can hear the ambient noise in my receiver increase on 160m
when I connect the mini-flag to the preamp, which suggests the noise figure
for this preamp is at least adequate at my location.  I use a Yaesu FT-817ND
"backpack" radio as a portable radio with this antenna.

In EZNEC I calculate the RDF of this mini-flag as 7.4 dB on 160m at a 20
degree elevation angle.  That's essentially the same as the K9AY loop or
other similar pennant/flag antennas.  For use as a receiving antenna, the
important thing is the noise figure of the preamp.  The DX Engineering Web
site does not give the noise figure of their preamp.  Don, perhaps you know?

The other thing that might degrade the antenna is common-mode signal pickup,
which can be a problem for very low gain antennas where you are working with
very small signals.  However, based on what I observe in terms of antenna
pattern for this mini-flag, I can't say that I see any pattern effects that
might be attributable to common mode degradation.  Don, maybe you can
comment here as well on this aspect of the antenna.

As I also mentioned in my earlier post, the dimensions of the DXE
implementation are somewhat smaller than what's given in the QST article.
For me, that works out well because the width of the DXE mini-flag just
manages to fit inside the trunk of my mid-size sedan.  A wider flag would
not fit.

73, John W1FV