Topband: The WD8DSB mini-flag antenna

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Wed Feb 24 12:41:36 EST 2021

Don's directional loop should significantly reduce my tracking time for most common switching noise in the neighboring area.  I currently use a National RF loop + preamp with an SDR-IQ receiver strapped with Velcro to  a notebook PC.  The SDR-IQ is powered from the PC's USB port.

It's very helpful to watch the signature of a switch-mode noise pattern to ensure you're not tracking other noise sources when roving on foot.  It's important to stay focused on one noise source before embarking on another.  For this reason, I recommend using an SDR receiver of some type rather than a conventional portable receiver.

Next, my plan is to acquire an Expert Electronics ColibriNano SDR dongle together with a Microsoft Surface tablet PC.  That will reduce some of the baggage and weight while roaming.

Paul, W9AC