Topband: The WD8DSB mini-flag antenna

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Feb 24 17:55:45 EST 2021

The link takes me to a page showing a unit with no display and no tuning
knob, needing a computer to run it. I needed to follow a link on that
page to find the self-contained unit.

http://afedri-sdr.com/index.php/lan-iq-sdr
http://afedri-sdr.com/index.php/ordering-information

I agree that the LAN-IQ-SDR looks really slick for DF work. Thanks for
posting!

73, Jim K9YC

On 2/24/2021 12:54 PM, kolson at rcn.com wrote:
> I have read some negative info on the Malahit (the EBAY clones especially, the Russian originals seem better) but it might be OK for RFI investigations. N9EWO Review : Russian Malachite / Malahit DSP SDR (qsl.net)
>
> But I can recommend this: LAN-IQ SDR (Stand-alone SDR) (afedri-sdr.com)
>
> This is about $400 with tuning knob encoder but is a small, slick and fairly serious receiver with a 12 bit Direct Sampling receiver on HF (the Icom 7300 is a 14 bit Direct Sampler) and covers from 30 kHz to 1700 gHz with built in Spectrum Display and Waterfall. It runs on USB power (I use a Power Bank that folks use to recharge up their phones). It probably is overkill for just occasional RFI expeditions, but if you like the idea of having a portable wide range RX when not on the RFI hunt), it is well worth it.
>
> No connection to the seller (4Z5LB in Israel). He shipped mine promptly, I was surprised how soon it arrived!
>
> 73, Kevin K3OX

>>> Don (wd8dsb)