Topband: Friday SSB DX Activity Night

Roger Kennedy roger at wessexproductions.co.uk
Fri Jan 1 08:58:09 EST 2021

Happy New Year to all Top Band DXers !

Following on from the continued success of the Wednesday CW Nights (Great to
have lots of stations on again this week!) . . . I'd like to suggest an SSB
DX Night, and think Friday Night/Saturday Morning might be a good time.

Years ago (when conditions seemed much better) I used to work lots of DX
Stations on SSB . . . but there seems to be very few stations on these days.
I know conditions aren't so good . . . but signals ARE often strong enough
to have an SSB QSO.  I do usually have several SSB contacts on 160 during
the various Contests, but unlike CW it's often hard to copy weak signals due
to the splatter from strong Europeans !

However, this would not be a problem when there's not a Contest. And one of
the advantages of a Phone contact (over CW) is that it's easy to have lots
of stations from both sides of the Pond in the same QSO, all getting reports
from each other (which in itself is interesting, comparing signals)

Here in Britain we're only allowed to run high power below 1850 kHz . . . so
I'm suggesting around 1850 as the best frequency.  Best propagation to NA
for me is currently around 0100Z . . . so I will be on tonight on SSB to see
who's around, hopefully other EU stations will join in too.

73 Roger G3YRO