Topband: Elevated radial number vs efficiency

List Mail mail10 at barefoothorse.com.au
Sat Jan 2 00:28:45 EST 2021

Yes, the antenna modelling is helpful, but by no means definitive.

Several years ago I put up a top loaded vertical over a very limited buried
radial field, 16 x 20 m. It worked, but nothing exciting. It was very hard
work burying wire in very hard ground.

I then put up an elevated radial system, starting with a pair, tuning them
like a dipole. Same with the second pair. After four, the tuning didn't seem
at all sensitive. I ended up with 7 x 1/4 wave radials, plus a shorter one
where the property boundary was too close.  The radials were about 2.5 m
high, just high enough to not touch with my outstretched hand. That seemed
to work quite ok, compared with a full wavelength doublet antenna up 20 m.

I then moved and set up the top loaded now trapped vertical over elevated 4
x 1/4 wave radials for 160 and 4 x 1/4 radials for 80 m. I quickly tired of
repairing fallen radials where a horse had rubbed on a post or where I
caught the wire on the tractor exhaust pipe! Again, it worked me a decent
amount of DX. And I mean "DX" as nearly everything is a very long way from
VK3.

Last year, I did the work of burying 60 x 33 m radials, clearing away the
mess of overhead wires. Does that work any better than the elevated radials?
I cannot know, as there was no means of comparative testing. But, it's a
whole lot tidier with the wires under the ground than overhead.

My conclusion is that elevated radials do work quite decently, and they are
probably a little less work than burying a decent radial field. Wires on the
ground were never an option, with livestock in the paddock. My suggestion,
and the references too, is to put the elevated radials up as high as
practicable (higher than I had them). This allows easy access to vehicles to
drive under them, without tearing something down.

The aim of the radials is to reduce the effect of ground return path losses,
and even with 8 radials, I could drive under them, listening to Radio
National on 621 kHz, and the signal would be significantly attenuated. All
of the above observations were over fairly poor ground, decomposed granite,
with granite rocks floating. There is water underlying, however.

73, Luke VK3HJ