Topband: (2wire) Beverage transformers

Lee STRAHAN k7tjr at msn.com
Sat Jan 2 15:21:36 EST 2021

Hi Mike,
   Assuming that you did not miss that this was a tapped winding and not separate windings as Csaba mentioned. I see on reflection that he measured 1:1.16 on one of his tests. In reality it wont likely get much better than that. That test was likely the 3:12 he mentioned using. The high impedance side of these transformers are a little unpredictable using simple formulas with winding capacitance and magnetizing inductance added in the mix.
  Sometimes I use wire wrap wire if it is not going to be used outside otherwise I use #27 high temp motor winding class insulation wire which helps keep from shorting the wires to the core. I have the benefit of many part spools of motor winding wire scraps from a best friend and Ham in the Motor rewinding business. By the way, Norton amplifiers require 1:11:4 which is the same problem to solve as they are separate windings in the ones I use. I also fit shrink tubing in the Norton amp cores for insulation first. I don’t use Teflon because it has a dielectric constant around 5 which increases the capacitance from the wire to the core. Its tedious but can be done easily. And in the case of the Norton amp it leaves room for a larger wire on the 1 turn winding. Yes 4 AND16 for 20 total can be done but yes it takes time and lots of patience. For those turns counts I go to # 75 material toroid cores which have slightly more winding room but require more turns usually for 160 meter stuff.  All this probably more than you wanted to know. HNY
Lee  K7TJR  OR