Topband: (2wire) Beverage transformers

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sun Jan 3 17:38:52 EST 2021

I question the wisdom of grounding the feedline shields at the antenna
for either open wire or coax designs.  Was this a error in the schematic?

The bidirectional design using a coaxial cable shield for the antenna
does not need center tapped transformers. Good RG6 is ridiculously cheap
and impervious to foliage contact or drops and certainly easier to
"make". The transformers are much easier to wind with no center taps and
fewer turns.  See 5th ed of ON4UN figure 7-118.  When connected to a
direction selection switch, the unused feedline needs to be terminated
in its characteristic impedance.

So, I'm a bit baffled why the open line design with surplus steel wire
is so in vogue. Is there a performance benefit to open wire?  What am I
missing?

For transformer windings, 28 gauge Kynar insulated wire wrap wire is
tough but has a higher dielectric constant than TFE if reducing winding
capacitive coupling is important. Good chokes and buried feedlines are
additional insurance against noise insertion.
https://www.omnicable.com/docs/default-source/technical-resources/dielectric-constants-insulations.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Grant KZ1W