Topband: W6 to EU openings last night

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Tue Jan 5 12:30:46 EST 2021

I tried calling CQ on CW at around midnight local (0800z) this morning
and worked JE1CTM, G3PQA, G3OQT, and G3OLB in succession all with good
signals into Southern California. This came after an absolute bounty of
European QSOs on FT8, including a number of eastern European QSOs.
HB9BIN was showing an FT8 "R" reading peaking well over +10 (+14 I
think) and he stayed consistently over +5 for quite some time. He was so
strong I kept wondering if it might be someone in the states pirating
his call. There was, however, a lull earlier in the evening where the
band appeared to shut down completely to Europe (no FT8 decodes
whatsoever). I was really surprised that things opened back up the way
they did.

73, Mike W4EF...............