Topband: Inverted J antennas?

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Tue Jan 12 15:12:02 EST 2021

For a portable helix loaded 160m vertical, I measured 1 and 2 127ft
radials at 3.5ft and 6.5ft above ground (average or worse) and found a
significant difference in the resonance R.
1 radial 3.5ft 50 ohms
1 radial @ 6.5ft 33 ohms
2 radials @ 6.5ft 28 ohms

Which quantified the change in ground loss for this situation.  The
perfect ground R was about 11 ohms for this vertical design.  More
radials higher will further reduce ground loss.

Two radials at 10ft or higher for a decent height (>70ft) T or L will
work pretty well and only be a couple db or so down from the recommended
8+ much higher.  N6LF has the plots on his website.

NEC2 models verticals with elevated radials pretty well, and can compute
the theoretical R over perfect ground.  Then with the radials you can
afford or fit the antenna can be modeled and the efficiency compared.

Grant KZ1W