Topband: 160m FCP Problem

Steve Smith stevotherevo1 at virginmedia.com
Sun Jan 17 05:08:59 EST 2021

Hi All I sent this email to Guy but he maybe busy just now so thought I would ask for advice here..The FCP antenna is working well now have 116 countries on top band and hopefully more to come.The question I was wanting to ask was on your site with regards to efficiency, I have the vertical section now up about 48 feet and the rest horizontal to towards the apex of the house.The couterpoise is at 8ft from ground level but i used my rigexpert analyser to check values at the feedpoint and i think something is wrong as you say the R value should be 30 to 35 ohms when X=0 but on my system i am getting R=57 and X=0 is this odd or do i have a problem I have checked inside the balun Designs box and no water ingress at all any help or advise would be appreciated.Lastly i also tried the Method A using a variable capacitor after first pruning R to 50 ohms then when i bring in the variable capacitor the r value goes up and x value cant be brought down to 0. Surely if you move the knob to move the fins R value will increase as well as X value bit stuck here here any help appreciated.

The variable capacitor is up to 600 puff but maybe im doing something wrong but i have a cable link from antenna side fcp to connection on variable capacitor then antenna vertical wire on other connection.

Cheers

Steve

MM0SAJ