Topband: One way prop

Greg - ZL3IX zl3ix at inet.net.nz
Sun Jan 17 14:15:35 EST 2021

So you've never given anyone 5/1 on SSB on a quiet band, Richard? That's
possible on 10m on a good day. What you're describing seems to me to be
the R value, not the S value. You may have noticed me giving reports of
469 or 479 on 160m when propagation is good but I have a high noise level.

'Knob twiddling' should not affect the S meter in a well designed rig.
On my SDR, provided that a signal is strong enough to overcome noise
levels on all settings, I can switch attenuators and preamps in and out
and it makes not one jot of difference to the S meter reading. S9 is -73
dBm at the antenna connector no matter what.

73, Greg, ZL3IX