Topband: RG6 recommendations

John Kaufmann john.kaufmann at verizon.net
Sun Jan 24 21:07:55 EST 2021

Hi Charlie,

What you see in your TDR sweep of the RG6 is absolutely normal.  I've seen exactly the same thing.  The rise in apparent impedance with distance is caused by the loss in the cable.  If you had a lower loss cable, the TDR trace would be flatter.  As long as you don't seen any significant bumps or dips, your cable run is fine.

For use with Beverage antennas, the loss in the RG6 is inconsequential unless maybe you have an extremely long run of cable (thousands of feet).

73, John W1FV