Topband: CQ Zones

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Tue Mar 9 08:29:56 EST 2021

I am not a certificate hunter, but I was curious to see how many CQ
zones I had worked on 160 meters.  Getting all 40 zones on 160 is a
challenge. My list includes 38 of the 40 CQ zones,  and only zones 23
and 24 are still unworked.. My question is how to nab these last two?
Part of my problem is the lack of stations available in those two spots.
A few weeks ago I was CQing in the early evening and worked R8WF on CW.
He is located in Zone 18 and just north of eastern Mongolia. (North of
Beijing)  I was very surprised at that QSO, as the band was empty with
few signals audible on CW. Shortly after we worked, he called again much
louder. It must have been right after his sun rise and he was a good S7
or so. The direct path is 360 degrees here and directly over the North
Pole. I was using my 45 degree beverage. I was stunned at how strong
R8WF was.

So what are the station call signs active in zones 23 and 24? Being a
relative newcomer to 160 and HF in general, I am not so familiar with
active DX call signs from around the world. I would suspect that China
is possible to work at my sun rise, but I have yet to hear anything from
there. Mongolia seems like another difficult nut to crack, hence my note
on who and what to look for!  Any help with call signs would be appreciated.

After the R8WF QSO, I am convinced that an antenna aimed due North is a
necessity in case that path decides to open. I am also going to make a
SE beverage, as I have been told that SE is a good direction for LP QSOs
on 160. I have no antenna for between 90 and 180 degrees azimuth.

Thank you

Dave K1WHS