Topband: CQ Zones

Mike Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Tue Mar 9 16:42:46 EST 2021

Hi Dave, Long time no talk.

I am not a certificate hunter either, but I keep track of DXCC's and Zones
in a book.

That being said, I am hoping you'll receive the answers you seek, as I too,
would like to work

that corner of the world on 160m (on CW) as well.

GL Neighbour !

Mike VE9AA...NB..

I am not a certificate hunter, but I was curious to see how many CQ zones I
had worked on 160 meters.  Getting all 40 zones on 160 is a challenge. My
list includes 38 of the 40 CQ zones,  and only zones 23 and 24 are still
unworked.. My question is how to nab these last two?  Part of my problem is
the lack of stations available in those two spots. A few weeks ago I was
CQing in the early evening and worked R8WF on CW. He is located in Zone 18
and just north of eastern Mongolia. (North of Beijing)  I was very surprised
at that QSO, as the band was empty with few signals audible on CW. Shortly
after we worked, he called again much louder. It must have been right after
his sun rise and he was a good S7 or so. The direct path is 360 degrees here
and directly over the North Pole. I was using my 45 degree beverage. I was
stunned at how strong  R8WF was.

So what are the station call signs active in zones 23 and 24? Being a
relative newcomer to 160 and HF in general, I am not so familiar with active
DX call signs from around the world. I would suspect that China is possible
to work at my sun rise, but I have yet to hear anything from there. Mongolia
seems like another difficult nut to crack, hence my note on who and what to
look for!  Any help with call signs would be appreciated.

After the R8WF QSO, I am convinced that an antenna aimed due North is a
necessity in case that path decides to open. I am also going to make a SE
beverage, as I have been told that SE is a good direction for LP QSOs on
160. I have no antenna for between 90 and 180 degrees azimuth.

Thank you

Dave K1WHS

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB