Topband: Looking for hi-Z antenna

Dave Cuthbert telegrapher9 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 13:17:04 EST 2021

It isn't the feedpoint impedance that matters, it is the antenna radiation
resistance that matters. For example, if we take a quarter wavelength
vertical having radiation resistance of 36 ohms and add a wire to make it a
folded vertical having input impedance of 144 ohms it still has a radiation
resistance of 36 ohms. The ground loss eats up the same amount of RF energy.

To increase the radiation resistance the current-area must be increased.
Two ways to do that are to lengthen the antenna (up to 1/4 wavelength) or
top load it. On 60 meters1 the HF2V is a 32' base loaded vertical having a
radiation resistance of ~1.5 ohms. Top loaded this can be increased to ~5.5
ohms, potentially increasing your signal by almost 6 dB. The HF2V manual
mentions top loading on page 11.

 *HF2V manual*
https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/instructions/but-hf2v_ck.pdf

    Dave KH6AQ