Topband: Noise investigation by FCC? (was: Re: ARRL 160)

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Dec 7 16:18:50 EST 2022

Rick,

If it's impulse noise, or acts like it at VHF, I chase it with the
VHF/UHF mobile rig and talkie that also have wide-band RX. I've
programmed memories both in rigs for AM on 160 MHz, and 3-4 frequencies
stepping above that up to around 550 MHz. I drive around listening to
160 MHz, then shift up in frequency as it gets louder. When it gets
really loud, I get out of the car with the talkie, holding it very close
to my chest to give it half-space directivity, and when I think I've
zeroed in on it, I remove the duck.

73, Jim K9YC