Topband: Small Loop does not receive weak signal on 160m BOUVET RX SPOILER

n4is at comcast.net n4is at comcast.net
Fri Dec 23 17:59:50 EST 2022

Doug NX4D asked me to add his comments,

Hey JC and Topbanders,  This is meant as a suggestion, not a criticism.

The reason I sounded an alarm to JC was the concern that the proposed SALAD/ LZ1AQ 160m receive loops by the upcoming Bouvet DXpedition/ 3Y0J are  much too small for receiving weak signals on 160m.  With the current poor 160m condx, it would be a shame for them to go to all this trouble and expense, then not be able to pull in medium to weaker sigs with the loops.  I would suggest the loop(s) be at least 10 ft (3m) diameter.

>From experience I found that my original WF with small phased loops could not hear the weakest sigs others around me were hearing, due to being thermal noise limited.  The solution was to make the loops much larger, by which I could then hear all sigs very well.

73/ NX4D