Topband: What antenna would you build?

Dino Darling dino at kx6d.com
Thu Mar 24 13:35:17 EDT 2022

Sorry, Tim's article was August 1994.

Dino - KX6D
________________________________
From: Topband <topband-bounces+dino=kx6d.com at contesting.com> on behalf of Dino Darling <dino at kx6d.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2022 10:33:28 AM
To: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg at gmail.com>; w5zn at w5zn.org <w5zn at w5zn.org>
Cc: topband at contesting.com <topband at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: What antenna would you build?

Thanks Tree and the rest!

I don't contest for two reasons; I lack talent and patience. No way I'm sitting in a chair past 2 hours! Besides, my ears are shot thanks to the US Navy (but I'm not complaining!).

My goal here, being new to Topband, is to see what the experienced operator has learned over these many years and apply it to my operation. If someone bought their first Jeep and wanted to build it, I would be invaluable to them based on my decades of experience.

A 3/8 wave vertical was suggested as well and Tim's antenna could be added later. I also found Tim's QST articles from 1996 that illustrates the sloper antenna I saw.

I have a custom built, single tube, dual-band amplifier for 160/80 and I plan to use it, so I'll have some gain for TX. I'll continue my education on RX antennas!

Dino - KX6D