Topband: History of directional MF antennas

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Mar 29 15:21:44 EDT 2022

On 3/29/2022 9:31 AM, Radio KH6O wrote:
> This article describes the history of the development of directional MF
> antennas on our neighbor, the AM broadcast band.

As an EE student in the '60s, I worked first for Pete Johnson, an
engineering consultant designing arrays to fit new stations into an AM
band that had been full for 30 years, and later for WLW-T. One of his
projects that I worked on was his own license for 10kW daytime on 680
kHz, about 200 miles from WLW.

Our EE class toured both the WLW transmitter and the far more
interesting adjacent Crosley-operated VOA station -- it was a
spectacularly lab for our Transmission Lines and Antenna courses. Two
Sterba curtains and dozens of Rhombics.At WLW, they fired up to 500 kW
rig into a water-cooled dummy load, and let us listen to the modulation
transformer singing.

73, Jim K9YC