Topband: J28MD, conditions

Artek Manuals Manuals at ArtekManuals.com
Sun Nov 6 12:02:58 EST 2022

I see this as a two sided coin

160 and 80 tough bands for CW let alone SSB. In the end it is a signal
to noise problem. Which FT8 overcomes by several dB.   FT8 levels the
playing field for those of us who don't have the money for a mega
station on several acres with 100 ft towers,etc (not knocking those guys
if I win the lottery it will be near the top of my list) .

At this point FT8 has become the defacto preferred DXpedition mode for
many because it usually produces the most QSO's/hour on 160/80 . If I
were a dxpedition why would I spend hours calling CQ on 160 for an hour
only to show one or two QSO's for the effort, kinda like a DIY lobotomy
with an ice pick....8^(,  Maybe I should use that time up on 40M
instead, giving a smaller gun a shot at an ATNO, (argument for a
different thread...please). For some expeditions #of QSO's is about the
$$$, more QSO's = more donations. In this day and age the cost of a
major DXpedition is a mind blowing amount of $$$$ (Look at upcoming
Bouvet, which is in the hole still ..if you haven't donated time to dig
in your pocket) not knocking anyone just stating a fact of life.

Dave
NR1DX

"before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes...that way when
you do criticize them you will have a mile head start and you will have
their shoes !"

On 11/5/2022 2:39 PM, kq2m at kq2m.com wrote:

> <SNIP>
> I am not interested in the digital modes, preferring the traditional
> modes of CW and SSB.  I understand that others feel differently, which
> is fine.  But it bothers me that DXpeditions are now avoiding CW on
> 80/160 because they just don't want to bother.
>
> 73
>
> Bob, KQ2M
>

> On 2022-11-05 12:45, Tom wrote:
>> On thursday night conditions here in w1 land were outstanding!   J28MD
>> (cw) and 5V7RU (ft8) got in the log and I heard HS0ZOY (ft8) at his SR
>> at -5 for about 5 minutes.  first HS I have ever heard.
>>
>> hope i get a chance with T88.
>>
>>> On Nov 5, 2022, at 12:00 PM, David Raymond
>>> <daraymond at iowatelecom.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Greetings Topbanders. . .
>>>
>>> I've spent a considerable amount of time on watch this past week for
>>> J28MD on Topband (CW).  While they've spent a fair amount of time on
>>> TB I haven't yet had success yet in spite of my ongoing efforts.   I
>>> believe it was this past Tuesday night when Joel, W5ZN, said they
>>> appeared briefly out of the noise (about 10 minutes or so and did
>>> have success with his BSEF-8 and Hi-Z 8 arrays in diversity)  then
>>> disappeared the rest of the evening. Wednesday night's opening to NA
>>> was much longer starting on the East coast and slowly sweeping
>>> westward with quite a few NA making it in the log (EC + 5's, 8's, &
>>> 9s', VE).  Unfortunately the prop just never quite made it this far
>>> west.  They barely peaked out of the noise here in Iowa Wednesday

--
Dave Manuals at ArtekManuals.com www.ArtekManuals.com