Topband: Dipole/remote tuner

n4is at comcast.net n4is at comcast.net
Sat Nov 12 14:55:20 EST 2022

Jake

One very  simple solution is a double inverted V. I built and used this
antenna for several years. The SWR can be 1:1.5 or lower from 3.5 to 3.8
MHz. The basic principal is a double dipole spaced 4 to 6 ft, very fat. The
impedance at the enter is 300 ohms, however if you make it an inverted "V",
the feed impedance is 200 ohms. The tower can be at the center with two
support 2 to 3 ft each side. This configuration makes easy to hung a large
4:1 BALUN on the feed point. I recommend the BALUN with material #2  T300B
or T400B with Teflon isolated wire, T200 is too small. Adjust the antenna to
min SWR around 3.65 MHz. With a good BALUN the SWR would be very low, 1:1,05
is very achievable. I like a good quality RG-213. To keep the wires moving
with the wind I used two 1/2 white PVC tune and a 3/4 at the end, on each
side. You may not need a tuner at all.

73
JC
N4IS