Topband: High Impedance RX Antennas

Tree tree at kkn.net
Mon Apr 3 13:20:26 EDT 2023

I guess most people have some kind of small antenna analyzer that has a TDR
kind of function.

I have not warmed up to them yet as the results I see seem to be "all over
the place".  Maybe I just don't know how to use them yet.

My goto TDR is homebrew - using an analog scope.

Here is one design pretty similar to what I am using:

A very simple TDR from W2AEW – PierpaLab.com
<https://pierpalab.com/2022/04/30/a-very-simple-tdr-from-w2aew/>  I put a
switch on it to slow down the rep rate as an option since some of my
"stuff" is pretty long.

It works wonderfully to check feedlines and beverages.  I have one beverage
that has transformers and feedlines on both ends and I can see the
difference between open/short/terminate on the "far end" (which is
physically in the shack).

73 Tree N6TR