Topband: FO/AA7JV RX Conditions

ws6x.ars at gmail.com ws6x.ars at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 18:56:18 EDT 2023

Sent: Friday, April 7, 2023 5:00 PM
To: topband at contesting.com
Subject: Topband: FO/AA7JV RX Conditions

Hello Topbanders,
It is surprising how many ops still don't know how to call on 160 a DX form
the tropics.

This morning (local), 09-APR at 10:37 UTC, we had pipeline condx between FO
and FM08. When I first heard you, I thought you were a local -- an honest
S9+!
I called you and you came back to "WS6", sending the request 3 times. As I
got ready to send my call again, I discovered I hadn't selected my amplifier
on the station console, so I was only running 33 Watts.  Somehow you got the
"X" with the next round.
With my short Inv-L and compromised location, it's rare that I can work DX
on 160 with less than 500 Watts, much less 33 Watts!
Ironically, the previous 2 mornings, you were just barely above the noise,
but with QSB, not workable from here.
Thanks for your great effort.
Jim - WS6X