Topband: Spur as it reappeared

Eric Scace K3NA eric at k3na.org
Wed Apr 19 22:47:40 EDT 2023

   To George’s point: This site is definitely in the complex category. Both stations change patterns between day and night, meaning they have a lot of (expensive) phasor hardware and high-current switches. The times when pattern and power level changes must occur are specified in the station license data on the FCC website, and change monthly. A station has 3 minutes to complete the changeover.

   Frank: It has become increasingly common for AM stations to share sites as the value of urban real estate escalates. In fact the WWRU/WKDM site pattern switching and diplexing arrangements were built by Kintronic and feature in their brochure <https://www.kintronic.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/QF-723-019-Rev.-B.pdf> on multiplexing AM/SW sites. There is at least one directional site that is quad-plexed with four AM signals at non-trivial power levels, with all stations changing patterns between day and night. These designs are not for the faint of heart — but super-interesting.

   I am responsible for two diplexed non-directional AM sites around Denver-Boulder: KGNU/KKCL in Englewood (adjacent to Denver) and KVCU/KCFC in Boulder.

— Eric K3NA