Topband: E51D and OHQP

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Aug 25 01:28:19 EDT 2023

On 8/24/2023 3:35 PM, Steve Maki wrote:
> And conversely (not that I'm an expert topbander), it might be true that
> a good DX antenna is more than *adequate* for close in contacts in most
> situations.

It IS true that a dipole up a half-wave is down only a few dB at NVIS
angles. So yes, higher is almost always better until it starts lobing.

Few of us mere mortals can get a topband antenna higher than a quarter
wave. I had one for a couple of years after I moved here, at qbout 120
ft in my redwoods. In hundreds of comparisons. my 100 ft Tee vertical
over lousy ground almost always beat it.

The first three hours of topband contests are in daylight here, and the
Tee can consistently work good stations out to 800 miles. That
horizontal antenna never even got a QRZ?

73, Jim K9YC