Topband: AM Broadcast Filter recommendation

Chris G3SVL chris at g3svl.com
Tue Dec 5 17:02:46 EST 2023

Hi Steve,

If the problem is the second harmonic then a BCB filter at your end will
not help because the second harmonic isn't in the Broadcast Band.
However, I suspect the problem may be blocking of your rx input by the
fundamental frequency which the filter will address. You don't say what
the TX power of the BC station is (which would give a clue to the field
strength you see at your rx antenna). You could try a simple series
tuned cct, tuned to 910kHz, across your rx input.

I  have a MW transmitter 300m from my antenna. It used to have three MW
stations combined to produce 2.4kW running 24/7. The worst offender was
700w on 945kHz (second harmonic 1890kHz). I have an ICE BCB which claims
to be 60dB down at 900kHz (but installed performance won't be that
good). Some earlier rigs blocked, but the K3 and FTdx101 cope without
it. The second harmonic was detectable but as I rarely do SSB and we are
limited in power above 1850 it didn't really bother me.

Fortunately the gradual decommissioning of AM stations here in the UK
means it is now a single 400W signal on 693kHz that doesn't bother me.

73 Chris, G3SVL