Topband: NCC-2 antenna pattern?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Dec 16 21:58:26 EST 2023

On 12/16/2023 5:46 PM, Kenny Silverman wrote:
> Does the NCC-2 create a predictable antenna pattern?  I’m just wondering
>   how to null the noise but not create some weird pattern which may also
> produce a null in the desired direction.

Here's how it can be made to work with suitable antennas.

http://k9yc.com/VE3DO.pdf

As my measurements of my NCC1, it's well engineered product. After first
getting it running with a pair of VE3DO loops spaced 5/8 wave on 160
aimed at EU (and reversible to VK/ZL), I verified with on-air testing
that the patterns I modeled in NEC were accurate.

For noise rejection, I'd suggest one or more pairs of verticals
carefully matched to each other. I'm guessing that 5/8 wave spacing
might be a good starting point.  And I'd pay attention to W3LPL's
excellent talks on how various types of RX antennas and arrays work (or
don't) with surrounding objects, including vegetation.

73, Jim K9YC