Topband: NCC-2 antenna pattern?

n4is at comcast.net n4is at comcast.net
Tue Dec 19 09:00:49 EST 2023

Let's agree to disagree.

It is not. I can  send you a long list of station around me, down here is
Broward County , Fort Lauderdale FL, just mentioning a few friends Peter
N8PR. Ron W4BP. Scott W4SO. We were around 120 to 150 worked countries on
160m back on 2004. The RX antennas was mainlining EWE.s  EWE';s in phase,
When I upgrade my tower form 80FT to 120FT, all my RX antennas stopping
working. I took a hit and figure it out, I needed to detune the tower. At
the same time I built a Vertical Waller Flag. In the first year I reach 200
and in few more years 250. All my local friends, here in the same location
did not hear the weak signals like my station and they did not move up on
the 160m DXCC, not even close to 170 countries on 160m. The average here is
150  countries worked on 150m for a good station.
I am not the only one 160m DXer in Florida, most of them are still below 200
countries in 160 after 30 or 40 years in the band. All of us are in the same
location. You can go to ARRL list and find 100's of station in Florida but
only 3 above 300's on 160m. N4WW Austin is in the band for 50 years. Doug
NX4D and I less than 15 years, All is Florida
On 160m the MUF is always good, the signal always arrive, the issue is
signal to noise ratio. A good RX antenna have a directivity of 10 to 12 db
RDF, a TX vertical 5 to 6 db RDF, the difference is 5 to 6 db. I measured
signal to noise for decades, for each 1 db improvement in RDF, you gain 2 db
on signal to noise ratio, so a good vertical RX antenna can hear 10 db
better than a TX antenna, the HWF because the polarization filter can hear
20 db better them my TX antenna.
Signal to noise ratio in your station! That is the secret, You can work the
weak signal your neighbor can not if your care about keep the patter clean
on your RX antenna, not the RDF in the paper, the one in your back yard.
YES, l you can reduce the noise on your own RX antenna, RDF is the key, but
if you allow the TX antenna interact with your RX antenna, you are
deteriorating the patter and never experience the RDF improvement , because
the actual RDF is reduced. You end up hearing the reflected signal from your
TX antenna into your RX antenna and no gain in signal to noise can be
achieved.
This is not because your location, it is because the way you  assembly your
station.
If you want to try it, check my presentation on World Wide Radio Operators
Foundation

https://wwrof.org/webinar-archive/n4is-waller-flag-construction/

https://wwrof.org/webinar-archive/high-performance-rx-antennas-for-a-small-l
ot/

High Performance RX Antennas for a Small Lot. It not just  a concept it is a
proved concept with practical results!

Don't tell my neighbors that they are in a fantastic 160m location, Florida
used to be a black hole for low bands, and still is  a black hole for most
of us, if you don't detune your TX antenna, and all others cables 30 FT or
longer.

73's
JC
N4IS