Topband: NCC-2 antenna pattern?

Jon Zaimes, AA1K jz73 at verizon.net
Wed Dec 27 10:35:39 EST 2023

 I use NCC-1 and NCC-2 boxes for phasing numerous receive antennas, mostly on 160. My property is heavily wooded, with antennas among loblolly pines, oak, maple, gum, etc.

For in-band listening while transmitting on 160, I have a pair of 34-foot verticals (self-supporting aluminum elements) placed about 1000 feet from my nearest transmit array, roughly on a line toward Europe (the RX antennas are closer to Europe). Spacing is 1/4 wave. To get maximum end-fire null, they are lined up on a heading of 29 degrees. The beamwidth is broad enough to hear many Eu signals while transmitting. Equal RG6 feedlines run to an NCC-1 in the shack, and I am able to listen within a few kHz of my transmit signals

The quality of the transmitter signal and the receiver are major factors allowing in-band listening. There was a quantum leap years ago when I upgraded my K3's to the newer synthesizer boards (or a K3S).

When I change directions of the transmit array, I usually have to tweak the null on the NCC-1.

I also have used a broadside/endfire set of 560-ft Beverages that have the TX array off the rear for in-band listening and their null is deep enough for this to work. I use an NCC-1 to phase the two pairs of Beverages. The closest feedpoint is about 550 feet from the nearest TX array.

I have two sets of broadside-endfire short verticals (four 34-foot wire elements hung from trees). These have the two forward and rearward element feedlines coming together at tees (no matching) and then separate feeds run to an NCC-2 in the shack. Performance of these can equal or exceed that of the numerous phased Beverages we have.

A few of my stagger-phased Beverages have separate feedlines going to an NCC-1. This allows adjusting the rearward null for optimum.

While the exact phase setting isn't known, the settings achieved experimentally are repeatable. I use several BC stations in the 1600-1700 range for reference.; An S-9 plus signal often will drop out entirely when I reverse the phase on the NCC-1 (or -2).

The charts of phased arrays in the ARRL Antenna Book and ON4UN's Low Band antennas book are useful in positioning of the various arrays for placing the null in a desired direction.

73/Jon

Jon P. Zaimes, AA1K
Tower climber for hire
Felton, Delaware
http://www.aa1k.us/

Reviews of AA1K tower work on eham website: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/12922

Hug your favorite tower every day, and always stay connected to it.