Topband: 160 ain't dead yet.

Roger Kennedy roger at wessexproductions.co.uk
Fri Feb 24 18:47:50 EST 2023

Well to me conditions are good if the DX stations that will peak over S9 are
that strong . . . if they are S5-6 then conditions are poor, and if they are
very weak or not there at all, then conditions are bad.

The same goes when looking at my own RBN reports . . . if I am 30dB above
the noise then conditions are good . . . just 10dB they are poor . . . less
than that or nothing, then they're bad.

As a general rule, I find that if NA East Coast signals are very strong,
then you will also hear Mid West or even West Coast stations.

Although sometimes propagation can be very selective . . . certain areas (on
both sides of the pond) will occasionally have very good propagation between
them, but very little elsewhere.

And every now and then 160m conditions will be so good that propagation is
good EVERYWHERE . . . I remember a couple of years ago where I worked Japan,
Korea, South Africa, but also South American Stations and right across to
the West Coast, all on the same night !

Roger G3YRO