Topband: 1940 kHz intruder WWRU WKDM

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Sat Jan 7 08:44:51 EST 2023

I had a similar situation on VHF. I operate on 222 MHz among other nose
bleed bands, and was greeted by a very large chunk of RFI in the SSB/CW
portion of 220. Others in northern New England were hearing it too. It
was loudest at my QTH. I identified some of the programming as that of
Channel 11 in Deerfield, NH. So I took to the road with DF gear and
found the problem was coming from the Channel 9 TX in Goffstown, NH.
(WMUR) A call to them brought a quick response. We had a meeting on site
and I demonstrated the problem. They found a bad module in their solid
state Larcan transmitter. It was causing the intermod. The problem was
solved quickly and no government agency got involved.

As a side note, when analog TV was phased out, I ended up getting some
of those same Larcan Hi VHF amplifiers from Channel 9. They make great
222 amps!

73

Dave K1WHS