Topband: CQWW160: Night 2

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Mon Jan 30 03:24:44 EST 2023

There was a decent opening from here in Southern California to Europe on
Saturday night around 0500 UTC that lasted approximately two and a half
hours. Over the course of the opening, I heard stations from 9A, OM, YU,
S5, DL, PA, G, GW, E7, and GJ. I was able make QSOs with DL and GJ (and
I had a maybe with E7). I was hoping that similar circumstances would
materialize for the Sunday morning opening to Asia. When I heard K0DI in
Florida work a JA station, I became even more convinced that we were in
for a JA bonanza later in the morning. Unfortunately it was a huge bust.
It was as if someone dropped a huge D-layer cloud over Japan. Strangely
enough, several BY stations seemed to be unaffected by the poor
propagation, in particular, BY4SZ who had a massive signal in Southern
California. Unfortunately, he was hearing impaired. I think W6YA might
have gotten through to him, but I certainly didn't. I heard one DU
station, but he also couldn't hear me.

Never take propagation from granted on Topband :-)

73, Mike W4EF..........