Topband: Topband cw - bugs rhythm, swing

Wes wes_n7ws at triconet.org
Sun Jul 2 09:21:43 EDT 2023

As a new Novice in 1958, a high school friend (not a ham) introduced me to an
older neighbor of his (also not a ham). The old guy lived in a two-story house,
a rarity in our Tucson neighborhood.  The second story was just one big room
filled with keys, sounders, clocks, etc.  IIRC, the guy had been a Western Union
operator and he built a replica of a station.  He did have a homebrew receiver
and a surplus Navy TRF receiver, but he and my friend were experimenting with
common-carrier communications over the power line.

After learning that I was a new ham and operating with some junk key, he gave me
a Western Union Telegraph Co, "1 B, Pole Changer Key" made by Bunnell.

My rig in those days was a crystal-controlled Millen transmitter (6L6-807) and a
BC-342 receiver.  I remember making a 40 meter QSO one day with a guy with a
two-letter call, who painstakingly rag chewed with me for 30 minutes or so.
When we ended our QSO he was called by another two-letter guy, probably a
friend, and they proceeded to comment, very favorably, on my fist.  I about
popped a button or two.  Regrettably, I no longer have the logbook, but I still
have the key, 65 years later.

Wes  N7WS