Topband: Bugs

Bruce Whitney zuceman at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 7 16:20:31 EDT 2023

First licensed in 1964 - novice, only CW with a J-38..  I lusted for the Hallicrafters ha-1 TO keyer but it was beyond my budget as a youth.  But in 1968 my friend Paul and I designed and built one of the first electronic keyers using RTL logic- flip flops and gates.   It had “dot & dash memory” but was not Iambic… I loved  that keyer and used it for many years. Alas, RTL was very short lived, soon replaced by TTL and then CMOS!  We never bothered to publish a schematic…
I can’t say I regret skipping right over the bug era.:.   Maybe that is why I have so little regard or appreciation for so many guys murdering CW with them?
My heart is with precise sounding code! I always thought the machine at ARRL HDQ to be my standard!
73, Bruce W8RA