Topband: Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Guy Olinger K2AV k2av.guy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 02:34:34 EDT 2023

That was a really attenuated contest.

VE3MGY was weak all night. Except VE3MGY is *never *weak here unless the
sun hasn't gone down. Best proof of a weird, attenuated night. I only
worked 5 VE's, none of them loud, and normally work 20+, even in summer at
least in high teens. Not this year....

Never managed to copy a European, much less work one. I did a couple of
times hear a station calling me that had "5K" in the call sign. So far in
Tree's listing PA5KT and EI5KF are the only call signs with a "5K" in
them. Probably was Gerald. Path to him would have least amount of sunlight,
farthest west.

Worked ONE USA west coast, K7RAT, also my longest QSO. Struggle to work
anything west of Mississippi.

About half my QSO's needed repeats. Sorry about that.

QSB was deep and fast, seemingly on everything past 500 miles or so. QRN
was awful and coming from every direction.

Definitely weird. Wonder if this will be the way of summer Topband until
the sunspots go down again.

73, Guy K2AV