Topband: 2-element receiving arrays

Pete Smith N4ZR pete.n4zr at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 08:54:30 EDT 2023

Thinking ahead to next winter on 160, I'm interested in replacing my
K9AY Loop with a 2-vertical phased array.  I'd like to homebrew the
antennas and just buy or build the remote control unit for the shack.
I'm looking for sources of components (antenna-located preamps and an
in-shack controller), and would prefer not to completely homebrew them,
but the prices at the usual suspects are awfully high.  Any ideas?

I have pretty reasonably-priced access to 25 and 31-foot fiberglass
poles (used for wind-socks by model airplane enthusiasts).  I'm thinking
that one relatively low-cost approach might be to attach, say, #14 wire
to the poles, with preamps at the base, but wonder if there is a
downside to using such small-diameter antenna elements rather than 1 or
1.5 inch tubing? Alternatively, are clones of the DX Engineering 8'
short verticals with preamps a good alternative?

--
73, Pete N4ZR