Topband: LOG RX Antennas

Dennis W0JX w0jx at yahoo.com
Tue May 23 12:33:31 EDT 2023

Two years ago just for laughs I made up a larger LOG RX antenna. It was 25 feet on a side. Feed point impedance was high so a matching transformer was necessary. Output about -30 db.
The pattern maxes out at an angle around 50 degrees but there is some useful response at lower 160 meter type angles.  I did not keep it on the lawn very long because it was vastly inferior to my other low band RX antennas.
I have an EZNEC file of it if anyone wants a copy and you can print the elevation plot from that.
Also, I tried to make a small tuned vertical loop RX antenna out of PVC. It worked OK but in the end was a waste of time and money.
73 Dennis W0JX