Topband: We need better preamps for 160 because FT8 activity

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri May 26 23:15:21 EDT 2023

On 5/26/2023 7:53 PM, Jeff Blaine wrote:
> Saw the interview.  Fascinating.  The guys have done a ton of work and
> that approach makes sense for these environmentally hyper-sensitive QTH.

Makes sense for lots of locations. Using batteries to buffer a smaller
gen that can support a power amp but run in economode means dragging
much less weight and space for the gen and fuel. George first used that
about ten years ago using DC powered power amps. Once I told him about
RIB a couple of years ago, AG6EE has been doing both it with his setup
to activate difficult VHF/UHF grids in the Rockies, the Sierra, and the
high desert. He's also built big amps that run on 48VDC and are water
cooled. He's doing Es, tropo, meteors, and EME.

73, Jim K9YC