Topband: Remote operation

TreeN6TR treen6tr at gmail.com
Sun Oct 22 19:17:13 EDT 2023

While I hesitate to post this, at some point, this behavior needs to be
called out for what it is.

Believe it or not - there is a station who has a well established pattern
of working DX on 160 meters from "California".  I use quotes here, because
this station claims to be in California, or the grid DM04, when they
actually aren't.

Six land is not that far from my QTH and during the CQ 160 CW contest, I
was able to record the whole contest while this station worked about 45
Europeans - many before sunset in W6.  With my QTH in Oregon about 1500 km
away, I would easily be able to hear this station if they were transmitting
from home.

Contesting gives multipliers for states and when those states are not
really what you are working, it makes things unfair.  I know in the CQ 160
CW contest - those QSOs were removed and credit not given for the QSO.  It
was indicated in their report file (so those stations know clearly whom I
am writing about).

Just because someone says they are in one place, you should look for clues
that maybe something isn't right.  If you have any suspicions, please make
note of them and inform the contest sponsor.

Tree