Topband: Remotes

jim.thom jim.thom@telus.net jim.thom at telus.net
Mon Feb 5 12:30:30 EST 2024

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 08:57:26 -0800
From: Steve Harrison <k0xp at k0xp.com>
To: topband at contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Remotes

>This growing practice of hiring a remote in another call area far from
>your own QTH, then working wild and exotic DX while preventing deserving
>locals operating from their home stations from working same DX, is
>abominable and just plain unethical. I lost what respect I had for a
>couple people I heard work 9M2AX this morning when I heard them do that.
>I heard another guy do that last week that I've only just barely heard
>on 160 in the past across the country; he was at least two hours beyond
>his own sunrise, so obviously hiring a remote, probably that big one up
>near Carson City, Nevada, same station these two guys this morning were
>probably using. The week before last, there was another east coaster, at
>least 2-1/2 hours past his sunrise, who did the same thing at, most
>likely, the same station. I bet the owner of the station is advertising
>it as "WORK 9M2AX on 160 from here!!! Only $XXX for a half hour!!".

>I hope these guys are putting an asterisk on their 9M2 QSL cards to
>indicate they didn't work Ross from home; but I won't hold my breath
>that they do.

>Steve, K0XP

##  I find it amusing that using a full remote station thousands of miles
away is..'ok', yet
using a simple remote RX, say 10- 100 miles away, while transmitting from
your own backyard, is a 'no-no'.   I can't hear worth beans from my own
qth, yet 100 miles north of me, my daughter is on 10 acres, and at that
location, can hear very well.

##  It all makes no sense.

Jim  VE7RF